Mountain Parmigiano Reggiano
The exceptional qualities of mountain Parmigiano Reggiano derive mainly from the breeds of the cows (exclusively Italian Friesian, Bruna Alpina and Rossa Reggiana) and the high-altitude pastures they graze on.
Genuine quality, guaranteed
What does a “mountain product” mean?
- The farms are located in the mountain area.
- More than 60% of the fodder for the cattle is based on products grown in the mountain areas.
- The cheese must be produced exclusively in cheese factories located in mountain areas.
- The minimum ageing period (12 months) must take place exclusively in the mountain area.
- After the cheese has been aged for 24 months, the Consortium conducts a quality selection process, consisting of testing the wheels with a hammer, branding them with the words “mountain product” (prodotto di montagna) and submitting them to a panel of tasters to verify their sensory qualities.
Parmigiano Reggiano Mountain Product 24 months
Our Mountain Product Parmigiano Reggiano, aged for 24 months, is moderately crumbly and grainy, with a soft, intense straw-yellow paste. Thanks to the lengthy ageing period and the mountain milk, this cheese boasts a variety of aromatic notes, with the milky, creamy base combining with floral notes of rose and violet. The piquant finish leaves behind a pleasantly aromatic, persistent mouthfeel.